Another post and another loco. This time its a Phil Sharples kit based on a Hudson loco. I came across Phil’s kits on ebay (vwmonkeyblue) a while ago and have slowly been picking the odd few up here and there. Along with a couple of locos Phil does wagon kits, Loco chassis for you to add your own body to and has also started doing a selection of lineside bits. They are lazer cut MDF and go together really well. All you need is a few tools, some glue and paint, then pop some batteries in and away it would go.
With mine I wanted to add some extra details and R/C. So first up I built the chassis and then fitted the bonnet together without gluing it so I could check what kind of space there was.
As you can see in the picture above, I managed to fit a charge socket in front of the motor and the Deltang receiver sits above it. The AA battery holder was changed for a rechargeable AAA pack and this fits in the cab area under the control desk. Once happy with this set up and having given it a good test I glued the body parts together and to the chassis, although I didn’t glue the top of the bonnet in place so that I can still access the receiver and motor if needed. With the basic structure complete I added a few extra details like the exhaust, radiator cap and handrails.
Before painting I did a little more testing and found I needed to add a little more weight to give it some better traction. So far I’ve added around 200g of weight inside the bonnet area and I plan to add a little more to the underside. I’ve got a few more details to add to the cab along with a driver and it will get some weathering to tone down the blue a little. Overall its a lovely kit and it goes together with the greatest of ease.